July 24, 2008 update status

Executive summary: North soffits almost finished, annoying detail work well on it's way to completion.

Building the stairway had a side-effect we didn't foresee: The south window wouldn't open anymore. This has actually been a problem since we put up the ridge beam, but it would still swing inward about two inches. When we put up the stairs, the steps prevented that movement, so it was time to fix some things. First of all, this thing is not only lovely from the outside, but lovely from the inside, too. Note the beautiful, high-security latch, The decay-free hinges, and the exacting trimwork. Still, a window is a window. Time to turn the window around!

Now that power can more easily flow out of the garage, it's time to get the big ladder and the air stapler out. The first row of pre-primed shakes went up fast, using the short ladder, and standing on top of the fence. After shakes, comes a spacer strip for the next course: pressure treated wood held in place with 6d common nails. Unfortunately, that used up all my pre-primed shakes. Back to painting at night...

Meanwhile, Dad is working on cleaning up trim boards, to replace the top garage door trim board with new(er) wood. The bare header isn't pretty, but it's straight and solid. Minor water damage to the bottom of the external half of the header is just that -- minor. Isn't the garagedoor spring mechanism lovely? Despite discoloration from water, the bottom of the garage door frame is still solid. Dad scrapes the old loose paint off the header trim. Thorwald and his grandma pull nails off of trim boards for his grandpa.. Trim makes the header look very nice, and drywall screws once again fasten it into place well. The view from the East side of the garage door opening. With trim boards in place, the garage door and North face of the garage look much better. Same scene, viewed from the East. This concludes July the 23rd's work.

On the morning of July 24th, it was time to get back to the soffits on the North. This particular soffit board was too thick on one side, so a little shaving was necessary. It also became necessary to remove some of the shakes, to get a clean line for soffit plates. and here I'm as close to the peak as I dare get without the ridgecap in place. The garage with the NW soffit completed. When the soffits had nailholes in them (I am using recycled lumber here) I covered the hole with sheathing tape. Sheathing tape is insanely sticky, and should work just fine on the inside of the soffit.

While I horsed around with soffits, Dad was kind enough to charge ahead with the brickmoulding. One-hand clamps greatly ease the installation of the brickmoulding. The completion of the brickmoulding and the steel wrap around it (thanks, Dad!) really cleans up the north side.

It's time to start thinking about putting the copper ridgecap in place. It's a lovely piece of metal, isn't it? This was worked up by Bob Hillenbrand of Hillenbrand Sheet Metal, from Blomkest, MN. The ladder gets put to the peak for the first test fitting. Of course, before we can put on a ridgecap, we'll have to deal with this wasp's nest. YARG! Here's a nicer view of my little winged friends, who were starting to get annoyed as I slammed ten-penny nails through 2x2 soffit stringers. Neurotoxins stop arthropods very, very well. No longer plagued by airborne pests, I got on with the business of removing staples and other debris (including the eyebolt) from the end of the ridgebeam.

At this point, it was time for Thorwald to have a soccer game, so we wrapped up, cleaned up, and grabbed a quick meal.

Back to the main project page