July 31st, 2008 update status

Executive summary: Ridgecaps installed, more soffits, lots more shakes

The clock wore on, and time seemed to evaporate on me. My niece came to visit, I spent some time playing with the kids and wrapping some things up at the school, and then it was time to put more shakes on the South side. The first order of business was to get a working platform. A piece of leftover 2x12 made a decent platform for a bucket full of shakes. I just screwed the 2x12 to the top of a fencepost. This is my BucketOShakes[tm]. The first few courses went on very easily, because I could put them on while standing on top of the fence. In the previous picture, you can see where I ran out of shakes again. Note that I'm also skipping the fancy angled cuts because they take too much time.

More shakes, ready for priming. Scrape, scrape, scrape that ugly shake. Whenever possible, I still paint the backside of the shakes, but not all shakes have a backside suitable for use on my garage. Again, shakes go up until I run out. I also made it a point to paint the bottom and the first few inches of the shake's backside, because that's a possible point of water infiltration. Even funnyshaped shakes got primed, as they might end up useful.

Now, on to July 31st, proper. By 0830 hours, I'd completed two courses, and was running short of shakes again. I'd also gotten the last of the Tyvek taped shut. Big ladders sure are helpful for that. Note that I haven't finished putting up the soffit hangers yet. Mom & Dad dropped by again, and dad brought the ridge caps with. We Tyvek-taped the south ridge cap together on the inside, so it wouldn't slide apart. This is an external view of the South ridge cap, clearly marked so I don't put the dang thing on wrong.

The big ladder gets put into place, and the ridge cap goes up with 6d nails. The airstapler wouldn't even pierce the metal cap, so it was hammer work. The South ridgecap really helps complete the look of the south side, and protects the LVL from moisture infiltration. A zoom of the ridge cap in place.

With the south cap in place, it's time to turn our thoughts to the North. Bob Hillenbrand was kind enough to work up a second, larger sheet of copper for the North side, to go behind the cap. We decided at the last minute that white metal wouldn't look quite right there. A clamp holds the large sheet of copper in place, while I prepare to nail it into place. The view from the East. Note that the East soffits are now done, too. Here's where we ran into a big problem: I couldn't get a hammer in to put a nail into the copper above the soffit line, and the copper sheet was so heavy, not even the framer wanted to put a nail through it! How did we solve the problem? We went down to Home Hardware, and asked Jim Kellen. He sold us a tube of white Lexel for $7 and change, and we GLUED the dang copper in place. Frankly, it was a tight enough fit that I think pressure alone would have held it. The cap went over the sleeve nicely, don't you think?.

East view of the front, now with ridge cap in place. The garage as viewed from the Northwest.

Fearing water infiltration through the shakes above the brickmoulding, Dad put sheets of steel in behind them. Those pieces of metal overlap the buckboard above and the brickmoulding below. While he did that, I finished the soffits on the Northwest side , and on the Northeast side.

North side finished, except for scraping, painting and houseletters. South side in progress.

Back to the main project page